Now, before I start I just want to add that I am all for the coins-in-the-fountain-then-make-a-wish routine. And in no way am I saying that I do not want to visit Trevi Fountain and toss a coin in, in fact I do believe I mentioned my complete aspiration to do so on my “Around the World in Eighty Words” post. However, I do have to speak up for those of us out there who do not have direct access to this famous fountain, or…any fountain for that matter.
It has just come to my attention today that I have coins a plenty ready for the tossing, but no fountain to toss! I have to add also that this did not distress me in any way until Daily Prompt decided to draw my attention to this fact so i’m not sure whether to say thank you, or why couldn’t you just leave my mind at ease on the whole fountain/coin tossing debacle?
However, fear not fountain-less folk! For Write and Day isn’t here to simply point out the problems, but it is ready to point out the solutions. Now I don’t suggest just chucking coins around like a hooligan, we don’t want anyone getting hurt by unidentified flying currency, but I do suggest some quick fire substitutes to get those wishes a wishin’!
1. DIY Fountain – That’s right I’m talking bird bath, neighbours pool, bathtub, lake, river, ocean, sink, anything where you can squint your eyes, turn your head a little and voila! Trevi Fountain!
2. Rent A Movie – So, apart from the ancient tradition, one thing that made Trevi Fountain coin tossing such a phenomenon was the 1954 film “Three Coins in a Fountain”. So why not get straight to the source, and toss a few coins on that video, literally. (I do suggest having no one around or else throwing money onto a dvd might be a little odd to explain.)
3. Donate to Charity – Since 2010, worldwide charity Caritas has been sweeping out Trevi Fountain once a week, and putting the money thrown towards a good cause by helping those in need around the world. So, why not donate your wishing coins, make a wish, and help out those in need while doing it?
4. Go Celebrity Hunting – Two words, one name, Chris Fountain.
5. Get into Calligraphy – I only suggest the calligraphy part for the post-wishing uses. What I am really suggesting is get a fountain pen, and toss some cents at it.
So, I hope that this puts all of your minds at ease, knowing that until you finally get to the real deal Trevi, your can still go on wishing into those fountains.
P.S. Here’s the original post that drew my attention to this dilemma – http://dailypost.wordpress.com/2014/03/21/daily-prompt-coins/